RN Transition to Practice Program
Saint Mary's RN Graduate Transition to Practice Program
Saint Mary’s Transition to Practice Program (TPP) is designed to help RN Graduates transition from students to professional nurses, while enhancing clinical competence. Participants in this program develop clinical proficiency through evidence-based practices and supervised clinical experiences, with an emphasis on clinical applications within the hospital setting. The program is designed around the goal of providing a nurturing, enriching environment where the new RN graduates achieve safe and efficient independent practice. TPP consists of classroom learning, precepted clinical hours and mentorship.
Candidates must be able to work full-time consistently throughout the program. Candidates are required to sign a two-to-three-year promissory note. The receipt of benefits is contingent upon the employee’s continued active employment as full-time in good standing, and compliance with the terms of the policy.
Available Nursing Units
Units that will train RN graduates will vary. It is the goal of Saint Mary’s nursing leadership to post positions in a variety of units to match the RN graduate with their first or second choice. The units available per cohort will be stated on the job posting.
Important dates for the Fall 2014 Cohort (December 2013-May 2014 Graduates):
- Applications Accepted February 10 to March 1, 2014 by Clicking Here
- Interviews and employment offers ongoing through March 22, 2014
- Transition to Practice Cohort begins August 11, 2014 (opportunities for earlier employment may be available on an individual basis)
Critera for Applicants:*
- Must have graduated from an accredited nursing program within one year from the beginning of the TPP program (not before May 2013)
- Must pass NCLEX by August 1, 2014 (early employment may be available for those who pass NCLEX by July 7, 2014)
- Unofficial transcripts
- American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare
- Two letters of recommendations (one from faculty, one from personal)
- Personal Statement: 500 words or less telling us why you want to work at Saint Mary's. Should be in Times New Roman or Ariel 12-point font, double spaced
- A list of hiring units will be provided in the job posting. Your personal statement must include the two units for which you want to apply.
- *Incomplete applications will not be considered
All applicants must apply online. Please visit www.smarthires.com and search for "Saint Mary's."
The transition is a taping of video diaries capturing the transition a registered nurse (RN) experiences their first year as a professional.
Week 2: First Impressions
Week 4: Getting Started
For more information about TPP, please contact Saint Mary’s Human Resources Department at (775) 770-3001 or Jami-Sue Coleman, director of Transition to Practice at (775)-770-3734 or Alana Beilstein, coordinator of TPP at (775) 770-3026.
This project is/was supported by funds from the Division of Nursing (DN), Bureau of Health Professions (BHPr), Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) under #D11HP22199, Nurse Education, Practice, Quality and Retention for $251,883.00. The information or content and conclusions are those of the author and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any official endorsement be inferred by, the DN, BHPr, HRSA, DHHS, or the US Government.