RN Transition to Practice Program
Saint Mary's RN Graduate Transition to Practice Program
Saint Mary’s Transition to Practice Program (TPP) is designed to help RN Graduates transition from students to professional nurses, while enhancing clinical competence. Participants in this program develop clinical proficiency through evidence-based practices and supervised clinical experiences, with an emphasis on clinical applications within the hospital setting. The program is designed around the goal of providing a nurturing, enriching environment where the new RN graduates achieve safe and efficient independent practice. TPP consists of classroom learning, precepted clinical hours and mentorship.
Candidates must be able to work full-time consistently throughout the program. Candidates are required to sign a two-to-three-year promissory note. The receipt of benefits is contingent upon the employee’s continued active employment as full-time in good standing, and compliance with the terms of the policy.
Available Nursing Units
Units that will train RN graduates will vary. It is the goal of Saint Mary’s nursing leadership to post positions in a variety of units to match the RN graduate with their first or second choice. The units available per cohort will be stated on the job posting.
Important dates for the March 10, 2014 TPP Cohort:
- Applications Accepted October 14-27, 2013
- Interviews October 21-November 8, 2013
- Start of the Transition to Practice Program is March 10, 2014
Critera for Applicants:*
- Must have graduated from an accredited nursing program within one year from the beginning of the program (not before December, 2012)
- 3.2 GPA (either in nursing courses or overall degree)
- Must pass NCLEX by February 21, 2014
- Unofficial transcripts
- American Heart Associan BLS for Healthcare
- Two letters of recommendations (one from faculty, one from personal)
- Personal Statement: 500 words or less telling us why you want to work at Saint Mary's. Should be in Times New Roman or Ariel 12 font, double spaced.
- Heading should include the two units you wish to interview for from a list provided in the instructions once you apply
- *Incomplete applications will not be considered
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
Current registered nurse license in the state of Nevada
American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
Cumulative GPA or Nursing GPA of 3.20 or above
Two (2) letters of recommendation: (1) personal and (1) academic reference from a preceptor or senior nursing instructor who will describe your strengths and weaknesses
Complete a written personal statement, no more than 500 words, double-spaced in APA format: Discuss why you have chosen to pursue a career in nursing at Saint Mary’s
All applicants must apply online. Please visit www.smarthires.com and search for "Saint Mary's."
The transition is a taping of video diaries capturing the transition a registered nurse (RN) experiences their first year as a professional.
Week 2: First Impressions
Week 4: Getting Started
For more information about TPP, please contact Saint Mary’s Human Resources Department at (775) 770-3001 or Jami-Sue Coleman, director of Transition to Practice at (775)-770-3734.
This project is/was supported by funds from the Division of Nursing (DN), Bureau of Health Professions (BHPr), Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) under #D11HP22199, Nurse Education, Practice, Quality and Retention for $251,883.00. The information or content and conclusions are those of the author and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any official endorsement be inferred by, the DN, BHPr, HRSA, DHHS, or the US Government.