The mission of Saint Mary’s Health Network is to deliver compassionate,
quality care to patients and better healthcare to communities.
We welcome patients, visitors, and families to experience the Saint Mary’s
difference when caring for the LGBTQ+ community. Members of this community
experience statistical health disparities that are often related to inadequate
or unequal access to care:
- higher rates of HIV and other sexual transmitted infections
- lower rates of mammography and Pap smear screening
- higher rates of substance abuse
- higher rates of smoking
- higher rates of depression, anxiety
- higher rates of violence victimization
For more information about the health challenges faced by this community,
please visit The National LGBT Health Education Center, a program of the
Fenway Institute, at www.lgbthealtheducation.org
Saint Mary’s Health Network is committed to correcting these disparities
by providing compassionate, quality care that respectfully welcomes individuals
of all backgrounds. We embrace the gender identity, race, sex, ethnicity,
sexual orientation, physical ability, and religious, political, and cultural
views of all our patients.
Equal Visitation Policy
- We recognize that patient visitation and family support is an important
component of the healing process. Patients are welcomed and encouraged
to have visitors of their choice, including same-sex partners and spouses.
- Saint Mary’s Diversity Council is leading this initiative for our
health network. The Diversity Council works to enhance staff training
and education, implement research-based, LGBTQ+ friendly policies, and
increase LGBTQ+ access to care through community involvement.
- Saint Mary’s Health Network and Prime Healthcare have implemented
a policy of non-discrimination for the LGBTQ+ community. Proactive clinical
leadership is at the forefront of the policy, which includes a commitment
to respect, privacy, and quality care. All patients have the right to
competent, considerate, and respectful care in a safe setting that fosters
comfort and dignity and is free from all forms of prejudice, discrimination,
harassment, and abuse.
- In addition, Saint Mary’s Health Network is committed to a diverse,
inclusive workplace for our organization. We are proud of our commitment
to non-discrimination in hiring policies and boast a diverse staff and
- For more information regarding our Guidelines for Care of the LGBTQ+ Patient,
please call our Patient Experience Coordinator at 775-770-3249.
- For more information regarding our Hiring Guidelines, please call Saint
Mary’s Human Resources at 775-770-3001.
Saint Mary’s Health Network provides training for care of the LGBTQ+
patient to all nurses. We emphasize inclusive, respectful care that includes:
- Research-based, quality care
- Use of patient-preferred pronouns
- Disparities in health outcomes and access to care
Saint Mary’s Health Network is taking steps to achieve certification
in the Healthcare Equality Index. In our goal to become a Leader in Healthcare
Equality, we are:
- providing gender-neutral bathrooms
- engaging former LGBTQ+ patients for collaboration and input on current practices
- enhancing our Electronic Medical Record to reflect best practices and accurately
document LGBTQ+ health status
- If you feel you have been discriminated against or would like to report
harassment or unfair practices, please let us know by calling our Patient
Experience Coordinator 775-770-3249.