Saint Mary's to maintain all healthcare services and the Spiritual Care department
Ontario, Calif., July 1, 2012 – Prime Healthcare Services announced today that it has completed its purchase of Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center, located in Reno, Nevada, from Dignity Health (formerly Catholic Healthcare West). Prime Healthcare also announced that Helen Lidholm, BSN, MBA, the current chief operating officer at the hospital, has been promoted to chief executive officer. She replaces retiring CEO Mike Uboldi.
"We believe Saint Mary's will be an important acquisition for Prime Healthcare and will continue our mission of saving hospitals, saving jobs and saving lives," said Prem Reddy, MD, FACC, FCCP, chairman, president and CEO of Prime Healthcare Services. "We believe Helen has the clinical and executive background to lead Saint Mary's and transform it into one of the top hospitals in the state and country, and we look forward to its success."
Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center is a 380-bed acute care hospital offering a wide array of medical and surgical services, including women's and children's services, heart surgery, and cancer treatment programs. Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center was named the first nationally accredited breast cancer center in Nevada and is also the only hospital that provides the CyberKnife program for cancer treatments in Northern Nevada.
"We are thankful for Prime Healthcare's willingness to save this vital healthcare institution, and we look forward to setting the pace as a leading hospital under Dr. Reddy's leadership," Lidholm said. "Mike Uboldi leaves behind a sterling legacy, and I am privileged to have the opportunity to serve this hospital and the community as he did."
Lidholm joined Saint Mary's in 2007 and has overseen all clinical operations at the hospital. Previously, she served as executive vice-president and COO of California Hospital Medical Center in Los Angeles.
Prime Healthcare Services is committed to maintaining the longstanding history and culture of Saint Mary's and its religious affiliations and as part of the sale will uphold the following:
- The hospital will keep the name Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center.
- Dominican Sisters of San Rafael will continue to be part of Saint Mary's Spiritual Care Services. To this end, Dr. Reddy has paid $1 million for the convent and will lease it back to the Sisters at no cost.
- Catholic priests will continue to be available to staff the chapel, provide support for the pastoral care programs and meet the spiritual needs of patients and families at the hospital.
- Saint Mary's will continue to hold daily mass and the chapel will maintain normal hours.
- Saint Mary's will continue to meet the community needs of the greater Reno area.